Ozone Park

Ozone Park

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Journal Entry: Before Performance

I think that I've really seen the purpose of Play Projects exemplified in the last two days of rehearsals, on several different levels.

To start, one thing I notice in myself personally is just how my whole approach to a rehearsing a play is completely different after a year of CMU training. Before it was what you would expect from a high school actor; learn the lines, learn the blocking, and project your voice. That was all you needed. But now, I can see aspects of things that work on in every single class that are coming into play. Movement qualities, playing actions, speaking with distinction (a variation of it), using my back ribs, spacial relationships, floor connection; I can connect something from every class. Even "triggers and heaps' from foundations (never thought I'd ever use that). This is why I came to this school, to find a means to becoming a more specific actor. And I'm not even sure that I knew that's what I was looking for upon coming here. But now that I have some baby steps into this newfound technique, the next step is to implement it into the work; the purpose of play projects.

The other thing that keeps coming to my mind is how thankful I am for the play that we are doing as opposed to the other two. Our play is the only real ensemble show. The others are more a collection of scenes, which has lessons to learn, but completely different from what our play offers. There was a moment in a rehearsal I want to say last week, where this difference between our play and the rest of the plays was brought up. We all that in order for our play to make any more successful ground, we were going to have to switch our focus from only what we were doing, to what we were doing for the rest of the group and what the group is doing for us. In other words, how we needed to work together, and begin trusting and relying on each other to support the play. I know for me that was something very important to accept. And after that rehearsal where we decided to start listening, our little play made a move for the better.

And now we're there. And the only thing we can do is what is drilled into our heads at this school;

"Let go of the work"

"Trust your homework"

"Abandon"

It's absolutely true. We have done the text work. We've learned the lines. We've learned our blocking. Now, what is going to get us through tomorrow morning is listening to each other, and trusting in everything that we've done in anticipation. And that is the technique we have been working towards, the ability to be specific AND remain alive and active in the moment. If I had to make one goal for tomorrow, it would be to be an example of that idea. Abandoning myself at the door remaining active with my cast in order to find the truth in the story.

I'm satisfied with the work that I've done so far. And I know that I should be careful of being comfortable, but I don't think that is the point I am at. I think that it is simply confidence that I have done the work. And now I'm going to get a good night's sleep so that I can give everything that I have tomorrow.

Good Night,
K


No comments:

Post a Comment