Ozone Park

Ozone Park

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Post-Dress/Pre-Performance

Some thoughts on our run-through tonight:

The note that Matt gave us that really hit home for me was that of CHILLING OUT. Well, he didn't say that specifically, but I know for the line "But you're not working!", I really just need to chill out a bit. I had been playing the line like Bernice and I were used to arguing and I was tired of hearing her bitch about 50/50, but I understood what Matt said about the stakes being too high for the line. I think in general, although it is so much fun to play high stakes the whole way through, we need to give ourselves somewhere to go. So I've been equating putting an action behind the line to playing high stakes, and I realized tonight that that's just not the truth. I can play the action and really hit Bernice with the line "But you're not working!" without looking so upset, which looks unnatural because it's not coming from anywhere. This doesn't mean I should throw the line away, but I think I need to listen more to the rhythm of the scene and casual-ness of the dialogue at that part of the scene and not raise the stakes too fast.

Another note that I need to bring into the performance tomorrow has to do with the improv dialogue. First, it needs to be specific - with improv dialogue it's really easy to indicate what you're reaction is, rather than actually play it. And then this indicating tends to be way over the top, too much of a reaction, and steal focus as it did tonight. And that's the second part of the note: I can't steal focus with my improv dialogue. There are a few hefty chunks of the script where I don't have any lines, so it's tempting for me to start a mini-conversation with Bernice, or Peggy, or Irene, but at the same time I also need to give focus to the more important things going on (generally between Jack and Jason). Plus, my reactions to what is happening in other parts of the scene are important, more important than whatever I make up that is going on between me and the other people sitting at the picnic table. So tomorrow I'm going to limit myself with the improv dialogue, give focus to the other parts of the scene, and perhaps use more physical rather than verbal communication when I need to naturally interact with the other people at the table. This is especially important during the charades part, and when the gun comes out and we're singing - physically I can say a lot without actually speaking up and taking away focus from other parts of the scene.

Another note I need to take for tomorrow is that of making sure my props are all in the right place! Not checking to make sure the beer was behind the set made me late for my entrance (in interruption of Irene's story), and then when I get the lighter fluid, I need to make sure there's a lighter around for me to light the fire with. Today it unfortunately caused me to be unfocused in many moments, and although I tried not to beat myself up about it, there is that sense that Matt so perfectly described today: "You broke the play." What's funny is that, like so many things, the danger is not in me breaking the play; I don't think any of us, let alone George, could really do that without like kicking an audience member in the face. What's dangerous is me THINKING I broke the play and pulling myself out of it. So tomorrow, I will double-check the props before the show starts to make sure everything is where I will need it, and I recommend you guys join me in doing so.

Finally, tonight was a good run-through because, I think, we had a strong warm-up and kept the energy from the warm-up going into the scene. I know that "energy" is one of those things that is difficult to talk about because you don't see it, or its impact, unless you are looking for it, but I saw its impact tonight, and I think we can bring a strong energy to the performance tomorrow if we keep our focus. Having the audience in front of us will help us a lot as well. A big part of keeping focus is, as Matt said, LISTENING, and that is something I will strive to keep in the front of my brain tomorrow as we work. Listening, keeping a rhythm and pace that looks natural, playing the action - all of these things will appear tomorrow because of all the work we've already put in if we keep our focus.

Have a good sleep guys, see you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment