Ozone Park

Ozone Park

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Thoughts

Hey Guys
Sorry I haven't posted much recently I've been unpacking stuff in my own journal but I just figured I'd post on here some of the stuff I've been working through and dealing with as of late.

Day after rehearsal on 4-13-2011

Text work
Last week or beginning of this week Matt suggested to us that we throw our lines at each other as we talk in an effort to keep the pacing up and keep everyone active. This included making your line the most important line of the show, the line that's going to end the argument (though it never does). I decided I would go through my script and label who my line was being thrown at. In some cases a line would be thrown at only one character where in others a line may be broken into 3 parts and each thrown to a different character. I did this and was surprised at point at my lack of specificity in regards to who I was talking to. There were many lines where I had the freedom to throw the line at Santo or Irene and I often found that if I chose one of those characters as opposed to both the action I would then play became more specific and need driven. Something to consider.

Animal Work
Something I've been working on with Jack is his age and weight. When I say weight I mean his physical weight but I also mean the baggage he has picked up as he has gone through life that is weighing him down. I went to the silver back gorilla to find this physicality. This is because they are massive creatures that are grounded and weighted and often take there time unless they are being aggressive. Something I didn't want to do was make Jack stupid and I think this was a trap I initially fell into when I was first developing how I would approach him. Jack I think is a smart guy who also has a great amount of pride which at times inhibits his ability to make the smartest choice in a situation. Regardless I went to the gorilla who I think are smart and grounded creatures. There hands and weight that they put in the ground were two components about them that I was drawn too. Attached is a link where you can see a group of tourists filming a silverback family in Rwanda. Its interesting to note the famly dynamic and how at the end of the day they protect each other. Just like Jack at the end of the day he is trying to protect his family when he makes up the plan about him shooting the dog. He truely does has everyone else in mind. Yes it is on a tourist safari but the animals are still wild and even if they are more familiar with human contact I still found the content useful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co8NneR8ilc

No comments:

Post a Comment